Monday, April 27, 2015

Golmaal 3 soundtrack


Golmaal 3 was subject to some pretty scathing reviews in India, and really hasn't had much exposure outside of it and Indian communities in other countries who might've gotten it theatrically. When I got the movie on Blu-Ray, I was pretty scared of coming out of it without even cracking a smile, since if there's any genre of film that translates the worst to foreign countries and cultures, or to different periods of time, it's comedies, as they often rely on heavy cultural perspective. Alas, I ended up laughing pretty hard at a lot of this film, although I haven't seen, or had much desire to see, its two predecessors. This is mainly because my personal draw to this film was the presence of actors like Mithun Chakraborty and Johnny Lever, who I've liked a lot in movies before.


And hey, the movie had a pretty good soundtrack. It wasn't the most consistently memorable of soundtracks, but it was good nonetheless. I especially loved the new rendition of "I Am A Disco Dancer" (shortened here to just "Disco Dancer"), so much so that I actually prefer its arrangement over the original version. It also has a pretty awesome reveal in the film, harkening back to Disco Dancer, the original film that it showed up in. The soundtrack was overall fine, but the packaging...


...is some of the absolute worst I've ever seen.


I don't know if other T-Series releases are like this (I've seen a copy of the Chennai Express soundtrack that looked like it had much better packaging), but man, this is horrible. The initial slipcover is neat, but the accordion sleeve that holds the disc is an absolute pain to pull out without feeling like you're treating the disc like garbage, and the disc itself is housed within a rough-feeling LP/LD-esque plastic protector. It was a good decision on principle, but when I was getting ready to rip the CD, the data side of the disc looked like it was sporting some serious rot. It ultimately ended up ripping fine, and whatever I saw was gone when I came to take these pictures, but for that moment, I was scared out of my wits.

Oh yeah, it came with mobile download info I won't use.
Granted, while it is one of the worst packages I've ever witnessed, it's not THE absolute worst (wait until I talk about the deluxe edition of the soundtrack for The Amazing Spider-Man 2), so I can give it that, at least. It also houses a pretty damn good soundtrack, although the weird manufacturing standards that must've been in place while putting this together resulted in a package that feels gross to pull out. The soundtrack to its immediate predecessor, Golmaal Returns, was placed in a proper jewel case, so I really don't see why this couldn't have been. At least it was cheap.


The tracklisting is as follows:

3. Ale
5. Golmaal (Remix)
6. Apna Har Din (Remix)
7. Desi Kali (Remix)
9. Yaad Aa Raha Hain

There's a recurring joke about this dude chronically breaking people's fingers. I dunno if that carries over from the first two movies, but it was pretty funny to me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment