Sunday, October 25, 2015

Re: YouTube's sudden "purge" of Japanese music

Thankfully, only these videos of Mad's songs have been the only videos on my account that are blocked in my country. Still, it's pretty big groups like this, AKB48 and B'z that are getting the brunt of this new purge.

This email sets up all that I'd really need to say, honestly. From what I'd heard of this newfangled YouTube Red thing, it already sounded like a pretty half-baked idea that was doomed to fail, but knowing that it has brought upon this side effect to those on my side of the pond is just making me dread its existence even further.

I should note that this sudden blockage of a LOT of Japanese music is apparently only affecting those who live within the United States, such as myself. I know that the main base of my audience is from Japan, so for you guys, this isn't an issue at all. Hell, this might even blow over pretty soon for us, I have no idea.

However, this does give me an opportunity to reflect on how YouTube has introduced me to 99% of the Japanese artists that I've covered on this blog, and how frightening it is to me that the ability to discover new content similar to it could just up and disappear at any moment. I, personally, can access the entire discography of The Mad Capsule Markets whenever the hell I feel like it, since I've now collected all of their releases.

Someone from my country with a potentially passing interest in Japanese music, however, who also might find YouTube the most accessible means to discovering older bands from all over the world, could go without finding that band that could change their entire musical tastes in a snap-- just as Mad had done for me. (Pretty much all of Mad's discography is blocked at the moment.)

I can't imagine how my taste in music would fare if I'd waited longer, and run into some mass blockade preventing me from giving that kind of music a chance. Knowing me, I'd probably just try some less desirable site like Dailymotion or something, but I can see someone else giving up on those prospects entirely because they can't find one that could suit them.

For now? Us Americans will have to go find some alternative site, maybe one that's focused on Japanese music, to see newer music as well as music videos we wouldn't have access to on YouTube currently. Hell, Puffy just released a music video for their new single yesterday, and I had to go to a site called JPopSuki.tv to check it out. (It's a really good song, by the way! Welcome back, Puffy!) Maybe this will all blow over in a couple weeks and the videos will be watchable again, but who knows.

I'm personally very grateful for the opportunities YouTube has given me to find my way into Japanese music, and I hope anyone else here with that interest will still be able to forge a musical path that they can find personal happiness with in spite of this new setback.

No comments:

Post a Comment